Wild Game Recipe: Oven-Cured Venison Jerky
1 lb. venison meat
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 T. Morton tenderquick salt
2 T. brown sugar
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. dried red pepper
- Slice meat into long, thin ¼ -inch strips, working with the grain, not across.
- For every pound of meat, prepare a mixture of the above ingredients. (May double, triple, etc.)
- In a glass or stainless steel container, place strips in layers, one strip thick.
- Sprinkle each layer with liquid smoke and then 2 to 3 tablespoons of the salt mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate meat 24 to 48 hours.
- Drain and lay each meat strip separately on a cookie sheet.
- Place in a 150-degree oven with the door open for good air circulation for 10 to 12 hours, or until thoroughly dry.
- Seal in tight, plastic bags. This Venison Jerky Keeps or freezes well.