Want a great way to Go GMO FREE? Make your own Venison Bologna!
This is a great recipe but it does require some time. You will need to set aside a full consecutive 48 hours in order to do this correctly and ensure that the end product is delicious and safe.
Before you begin to gather all these ingredients together.
- 10 pounds of ground Venison
- 7 tablespoons of TenderQuick
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 5 teaspoons of fine ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons of fine ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon of mace
- 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
- 5 teaspoons of red crushed peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 4 teaspoons of Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of Accent
- Venison casings
- Meat grinder(not necessary, but makes filling the casings much easier.
Set the liquid smoke to the side as you will not need this until later. DO NOT Mix liquid smoke into the dry ingredients.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Spread your ground venison out on a clean, dry, non-porous surface.
- Sprinkle spice mixture evenly on ground venison using all of it.
- Add the Liquid Smoke to the ground venison
- Knead the mixture by hand until all the spice is distributed even through all the venison.
Prepare venison for filling casings:
- Place venison mixture into a closable container or cover top with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours remove from refrigeration
- Prepare venison casings by soaking in hot water.
- Place the meat into the grinder and grind the meat twice.
Stuffing the Venison Casings:
- Put the casing over the end of the meat grinder as you are grinding it the second time.
- Fill the casing with venison leaving at least 3 inches at the end so there is room to tie it.
- Tie the end of the bag once you are finished.
Cooking the Bologna:
- Fill a large pot with water bring to a 170 degree boil.
- Place the bologna in the boiling water for 1 hour.
- When the bologna has been boiling for almost an hour it will begin to float.
- Remove the bologna sticks from the pot.
- Hang them for 1 more hour to allow them to drain.
- Refrigerate the drained meat for 24 hours.
There you have it! Homemade, preservative free, healthy venison bologna.
Heat and Enjoy!