If you are looking for a delicious, venison stew recipe that will warm and fill your stomach on those cold winter nights then look no further than hungryman’s venison stew.
This hearty venison stew recipe is full of rich flavors from a mixture of ingredents which include venison, onions, worchestershire sauce, oregano and fresh cut veggies which give off their own unique taste in every bite of this venison stew!
Country Style Venison Stew
- 2 lb venison steak
- 1/2 lb bacon or salt pork
- 4 tb flour
- 6 c water or beef stock
- 1 lg tomato chopped
- 2 md carrots sliced
- 2 md stalks celery sliced
- 2 md potatoes in 1 cubes
- 1 dozen small white onions
- 1 tb chopped parsley
- 1 c fresh green peas
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- Cut bacon into 1" cubes and saute in large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- Cut venison into 1 1/2 or 2" pieces and brown over high heat in 4 T bacon drippings.
- Stir in flour.
- Lower heat and let brown 2-3 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add liquid and let it simmer 1 hour or more until venison begins to get tender, add more liquid as necessary.
- Add all the other ingredients, except peas, and continue to simmer to make a thick stew.
- Simmer peas in a separate pan until done.
- Strain and spoon over or around stew when served.