It’s always a good idea to use up leftover parts of your deer kill. So, we really think you’ll love making use of our Deer Heart Recipe.
So if you are fortunate enough this deer hunting season to take a deer, try out some Deer Heart and Kidney Stew!
The taste of this deer heart recipe is rich with iron from the red meat combined with vitamins A & K as well omega-3 fatty acids all help to promote heart health. Give this deer heart recipe a try – Hunt On!
Country Style Venison Stew
- 2 lb venison steak
- 1/2 lb bacon or salt pork
- 4 tb flour
- 6 c water or beef stock
- 1 lg tomato chopped
- 2 md carrots sliced
- 2 md stalks celery sliced
- 2 md potatoes in 1 cubes
- 1 dozen small white onions
- 1 tb chopped parsley
- 1 c fresh green peas
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- Cut bacon into 1" cubes and saute in large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- Cut venison into 1 1/2 or 2" pieces and brown over high heat in 4 T bacon drippings.
- Stir in flour.
- Lower heat and let brown 2-3 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add liquid and let it simmer 1 hour or more until venison begins to get tender, add more liquid as necessary.
- Add all the other ingredients, except peas, and continue to simmer to make a thick stew.
- Simmer peas in a separate pan until done.
- Strain and spoon over or around stew when served.
Subscribe To Hunting Magazine for Free
Subscribe to the Hunting Magazine and get weekly hunting news, hunting tips, and wild game reviews delivered to your inbox weekly from our team.