This rustic wild game recipe is sure to please! Country Style Venison Stew features venison, bacon, and potatoes in a delicious stew sauce.
It’s not necessary that you know how to cook (well) but if your looking for something new or would just like to try our classic country-style venison stew recipe then this one will be the perfect venison stew dish for your to test your wild game cooking skills.
Country Style Venison Stew
- 2 lb venison steak
- 1/2 lb bacon or salt pork
- 4 tb flour
- 6 c water or beef stock
- 1 lg tomato chopped
- 2 md carrots sliced
- 2 md stalks celery sliced
- 2 md potatoes in 1 cubes
- 1 dozen small white onions
- 1 tb chopped parsley
- 1 c fresh green peas
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- Cut bacon into 1" cubes and saute in large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- Cut venison into 1 1/2 or 2" pieces and brown over high heat in 4 T bacon drippings.
- Stir in flour.
- Lower heat and let brown 2-3 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add liquid and let it simmer 1 hour or more until venison begins to get tender, add more liquid as necessary.
- Add all the other ingredients, except peas, and continue to simmer to make a thick stew.
- Simmer peas in a separate pan until done.
- Strain and spoon over or around stew when served.