The sweet smell of venison, brown sugar, garlic and instant coffee fill the air. This is a wild game recipe you can sink your teeth and folk into.
Recipe: Coffee Grilled Venison
- About 1 pound of venison backstrap, in one or two chunks
- 1 tbsp. Splenda brown sugar substitute
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp. instant coffee
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika (sweet smoked)
- ½ cup light ranch dressing
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. dill weed
- snipped fresh parsley if available
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Score the venison in a diamond pattern, then rub the dry mix into both sides of the meat.
- Place the venison in a stainless steel or other oven-proof skillet and brown on each side.
- Meanwhile have the oven heated to 475 degrees and once the venison is browned, put the skillet in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let rest for several minutes before cutting.
- Check temperature for desired doneness, an internal temperature of about 140 is medium.
- Slice into thin strips.
- Serve with a dressing made from light ranch dressing, stirred together with dill weed, snipped fresh parsley if available, fresh lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
- Suggested Alternative – Replace Dijon Mustard with Sweet Jalapeno Mustard from Backwoods Mustard Company.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter below and never miss the latest outdoor news, gear reviews, or an exclusive offer from our partners. Just add your email address in the form below and click subscribe.