The sweet smell of venison, brown sugar, garlic, and instant coffee fills the air. This is a wild game recipe you can sink your teeth and folk into.
Wild Game Recipes: Grilled Venison
Coffee Grilled Venison
- 1 lbs About 1 pound of venison backstrap in one or two chunks
- 1 tbsp. Splenda brown sugar substitute
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp. instant coffee
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika sweet smoked
For the Dressing
- ½ cup light ranch dressing
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. dill weed
- snipped fresh parsley if available
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Score the venison in a diamond pattern, then rub the dry mix into both sides of the meat.
- Place the venison in stainless steel or other oven-proof skillet and brown on each side.
- Meanwhile, have the oven heated to 475 degrees and once the venison is browned, put the skillet in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let rest for several minutes before cutting.
- Check the temperature for the desired doneness, an internal temperature of about 140 is medium.
- Slice into thin strips.
- Serve with a dressing made from light ranch dressing, stirred together with dill weed, snipped fresh parsley if available, fresh lemon juice, and Dijon mustard.
- Suggested Alternative - Replace Dijon Mustard with Sweet Jalapeno Mustard from Backwoods Mustard Company.