The nutty flavor of wild rice makes a great pairing with the gameness of woodcock, currants and other traditional ingredients. With a few other easy to obtain household kitchen ingredients you can be dining on a wild game feast in just minutes.
Recipe: Baked Woodcock
Summary: Savory Baked Woodcock served with Wild Rice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 woodcock breasts, boned and split
- 1 cup sliced green and red pepper
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 can mushrooms
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 Tbsp. currant jelly
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the woodcock and cook about 5 minutes, or until meat is browned, turning occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes, until mixture is thickened, stirring frequently.
- Serve over wild rice.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter below and never miss the latest outdoor news, gear reviews, or an exclusive offer from our partners. Just add your email address in the form below and click subscribe.