Washburn County hunters are encouraged to submit a sample from any harvested deer for CWD testing
By Northwest Region October 30, 2015
In cooperation with local businesses, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources will collect deer heads for chronic wasting disease surveillance testing during the 2015 archery and gun hunting seasons.
If you harvest an adult deer within a 10-mile radius of Shell Lake, you are encouraged to submit a sample from any harvested deer for CWD testing.
Contact(s): Nancy Christel, DNR wildlife biologist, 715-635-4025
The department will also offer landowners within the Shell Lake, Wis. 2-mile sampling area scientific collector permits to harvest adult deer of either sex for CWD testing. Landowner permits were recommended by the CWD Citizen Advisory Team to focus sampling efforts that may provide valuable information regarding the health of deer on private lands. For more information, visit dnr.wi.gov and search keywords “CWD sampling.”
Interested landowners within the 2-mile sampling area who would like a permit or more information can visit the Spooner DNR Service Center Nov. 12 at 6 p.m. Participating landowners may assign hunters to harvest the deer and submit the head, and may assign someone else to pick up permits at the Nov. 12 meetings by calling the DNR. For more information or to give permission, please call 715-635-4025.
Information collected by cooperators and the department will be used to help assess the distribution of CWD within the local deer herd. To date, there have been no additional positives since one CWD-positive deer was discovered in fall 2011 in Washburn County.
Wisconsin’s citizens have played a key role in CWD sampling efforts in Wisconsin, and the department would like to thank all participants and collection cooperators for their continued efforts.
Hunters can also submit deer heads to one of the department’s refrigerated sampling kiosks. Kiosks are open around the clock, and sampling materials and tools to remove heads are available onsite. Antlers and hide may be removed prior to drop-off.
24/7 self-serve kiosks are currently open at the following locations:
- Holiday Gas Station (North) 621 N. River St. Spooner, 715-635-9421 (kiosk located on west side of building)
- Speedy’s C Stop 2962 Main St. Barronett, 715-822-8979 (kiosk located on north side of building)
- Country Pride Coop (Cenex) Highway 63, Shell Lake, 715-468-2302 (kiosk located on north side of building).
Cooperating taxidermists and processors can be found below:
- Thompson Wild Game Processing W5098 Cty. Hwy. D Sarona, 54870 715-469-3234
- Gram’s Taxidermy Studio W3038 Hwy. 63 Springbrook, 54875 715-766-3300
- Zimmerman Taxidermy N5015 10th St. Spooner, 54801 715-635-8822;
- Thompson Taxidermy W2511 Cty. Hwy. A/M Springbrook, 54875 715-766-3432
- Wolf’s Taxidermy 6931 Lakeview Road Siren, 54872 715-349-2025
A map of the sampling area and kiosk locations can be found here [PDF].
For more information regarding chronic wasting disease in Wisconsin, search keyword “CWD.”