The nutty flavor of wild rice makes a great pairing with the gameness of woodcock, currants and other traditional ingredients. With a few other easy to obtain household kitchen ingredients you can be dining on a wild game feast in just minutes.
Recipe: Baked Woodcock
Summary: Savory Baked Woodcock served with Wild Rice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 woodcock breasts, boned and split
- 1 cup sliced green and red pepper
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 can mushrooms
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 Tbsp. currant jelly
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the woodcock and cook about 5 minutes, or until meat is browned, turning occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes, until mixture is thickened, stirring frequently.
- Serve over wild rice.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4