Spice up your holiday dinner or make the best of leftovers with this wild game fajita recipe, featured in the Iowa Game Wardens Cookbook
Wild Pheasant or Wild Turkey Fajitas
Write a review
- 4 to 6 filet halves of pheasant breast or 1 pound of turkey breast
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bell peppers (any color), sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Sour cream, guacamole or any other toppings you’d like
- Prepare the meat by slicing the filets across the grain of the meat in half-inch wide strips to keep it tender when cooked.
- In a plastic food storage bag, combine the sliced meat, juices, half of the oil, cumin, garlic and some of the cilantro.
- Marinate in the fridge for at least four hours or up to 24 hours.
- Mix peppers, onions, rest of oil and cilantro and stir to coat.
- On a hot cast-iron griddle, place meat in the center with peppers around the outside edge.
- Cook meat for 6 to 8 minutes and turn.
- Cook for another 6 to 8 minutes or until done.
- Remove meat and let it rest while peppers and onions continue to cook – when peppers start to show black spots, remove.
- Serve with tortillas, sour cream, guacamole or your favorite toppings.
- Meat Substitutions: Any other wild game bird of your choice - duck, goose, quail, woodcook, dove, etc.
Hunting Magazine http://huntingmagazine.net/